Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Market Never Changes

I will start by replying that comment first. It is really nice of you to reflect back on what you have said. Hopefully, I can give you a good reply. Btw, I'm from IIC, are you from IIC also?

Interestingly, you said that "If all things go right, I forsee another steep fall before the upwards wave begins."

Well, you didn't really justify why another steep fall. But yes, I definitely agree that commodities have to go up. In a way, I like what Jim Rogers said about commodities.

1. If the recovery was to take place and the economy turns better. Commodities will first come out of the hole much earlier than stocks. For example, if Toyota's business is picking up, it will first be reflected in platinum prices because they will have to buy more platinum first in order to produce cars. By the way, platinum is used for catalytic converters in cars. Platinum prices will shoot first before Toyota prices shoot because it takes time for the cars to be produced, it takes time for the salemen to sell their cars. It takes far less shorter time to buy platinum.

2. Actually, I think demand concern is overblown. In a way, it could just be an excuse for a correction. In the market, sometimes fundamentals are just distorted. Even though the facts may be there about demand and supply for commodities, prices may just stay low for a period of time for no reason. I feel that supply side issues are totally ignored (I don't know why, maybe people are short sighted). Again, no one is going to open new mines. No one is lending farmers to buy more fertilizers and plant more agriculture. I remember reading somewhere that if oil prices stay this low, some producers cannot meet their margins. By my minimal knowledge, supply for such cannot be increased fast enough to meet demand when the demand picks up. Hopefully I'm correct about this.

3. To sum up, I just don't understand why will people want to buy stocks with no fundamentals at all. Commodities have their fundamentals. Stocks? So, I feel that people should re-think their "value investing" to some extent because in any case, if the economy is to pick up, commodities will be shooting up first rather than stocks.

Hope to hear from you soon. =D

The Same Old Market


Well this is the best I can find. A 30 year chart on Treasury bonds yield. Actually it seems to me that we have a crazy bond bull market as well that stretches back to late 1981. The highest point (highest yield) was in late 1981 and yields corrected in some ways before bond prices continue its crazy bull run. Exactly the same as stocks, and we have a very fast leg down this time round. Remember I talk about acceleration phase in price behavior. Somehow it is de ja vu isn't it. We see that in the stock market and now we are going to see that in the bond market. But how far more do we need to see in this leg down before it finally corrects, I'm not sure about it. I'm a lousy trader. I bought put warrants when HSI was 22000, not at its all time 31000 high. So I think it is alright for the market to show us the pressure before we do anything.

Again it reminds of a fact that the market never changes because the people that participate it ever change. Life's like that.

1 comment:

QUALITY STOCKS UNDER FOUR DOLLARS said...

The market never changes while everyone is in agreement its only when everyone is in disagreement that the market turns on a dime.

CNBC Top News and Analysis