Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mid Week Pit Stop # 27

"It is not what you know, but whether you know yourself"

This has been my line for the stock market lately.

I believe that in the stock market, it is not what tools, knowledge or information that you have or know but rather it is about whether you know yourself; your own emotions. The biggest enemy that one faces in the stock market is usually himself, no one else.

My Final Thoughts...

Just a recap on my previous post, I got this feeling that friday might just be a bottom and for the first time I was comptemplating whether to clear all my put warrants.

On Monday, I was prepared for a huge gain in HSI. Of course, I can't do anything since sgx was closed due to deepavali. But surprisingly, HSI dropped 10%. The US markets didn't do as badly as the asia markets.

Tuesday, I was still undecided. It is not because HSI was up 14% on tuesday, but because I was still unsure about what happened on friday. At night, for the first time, I was thinking really hard about whether to sell or not. For the US markets, consumer confidence was horrible. Home prices were horrible as well. But Dow closed up 10%.

Wednesday morning, I begin to reflect on what I have done so far and I realise something. Why am I thinking so much over it? I reflect on the two particular days where HSI rallied 20% in total because of bailout plans. I was calm and relax and totally ignored what the market did because I knew that the selling is not over yet. For four days, I have been overwhelmed by my emotions bit by bit and I know this time, something is wrong. Intuition at work? Maybe, but friday limit sell down was the key for everything.

I sold all my put warrants in the morning. Of course, HSI closes flat at the end of the day.

Today as I'm writing now, HSI is up 10%.

Lesson To Learn

I was so close. I was so close to making the mistake that I have been making 1 year ago. I was so close to losing a huge chunk of my profits. Of course, I lost some of the paper profits. I could have sold everything on tuesday morning but I didn't.

I needed to see a panic selling to confirm a bottom and I did see one but a part of me chose to ignore it initially. I almost fell into some sort of self fulfilling prophecy and it could have killed me today. In the end, my worries on friday limit sell down was proven right.

I think we have a bottom here. It is not a real bottom in the long run of course, but it will be a bottom as of now and we have some upside to catch

What To Buy?

1. Buy some commodities. Buy some oil. I believe that the selling of all commodities is due to the deleveraging of hedge fund rather than real fundamentals.

2. Stocks wise, buy anything. I mean everything should rally, anything should go up. Buy some oil related or commodities related companies like Noble or Keppel corp.

3. For simplicity, just buy the index. I like HSI for its volatility. I think we have the upside of HSI at 17000. I can see dow picking up to 10000. I don't even think that tonight GDP numbers will affect anything. I'm going to buy some HSI call warrants. But I'm waiting for the green light from the mailman. Even after HSI is up for 10% today, I don't think that it is too late to go into it. You can still catch a 3000 point to the upside.

What To Sell?

1. There is only one thing. Sell all your lousy stocks into this rally. Of course, I'm not telling you to sell today but make full use of this rally.

One More Thing...

I will like emphasize on this. Know yourself. Understand your emotions. It is not easy. Even after one full year, I'm still susceptible to it. I firmly believe that once you know yourself, once you know how to handle your emotions, you will be there.


"It is not what you know, but whether you know yourself" - Jin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good post! - jj

CNBC Top News and Analysis