Saturday, September 19, 2009

Greetings: Mr. X

Since this is the first entry of the group blog, I’ll do some introductions here (you can look under the profile section if anyone wants to stalk us further). Followers of the previously solo-blog might even know me as Mr X. A bit about myself, I’m a Northwestern University undergraduate majoring in Electrical Engineering, Economics and possibly, Computer Engineering. I will be participating in the Kellogg Certificate Program for Undergraduates for Financial Economics, which supposedly is a highly selective program, in the next academic year.

So I guess the number one question is 'Why should you take what I have to say seriously?'. After all, I'm just another undergraduate. Well, I'll respond to that by saying that you should read this blog, assimilate the information and come up with your own analysis. It is exactly what I do when I'm writing these blog posts anyway. I read the news on google, analyze it independently and talk about what my instinct is telling me in this blog. One thing to note about my approach to reading the news is that I don't restrict myself to finance news and that I read the news with skepticism. Take the facts, the raw numbers but ditch the analysis. These experts can think of the most rational of reasons and persuade you to believe it. Their reasoning is undoubtedly believable but is it correct? No one can really tell. So, my approach to investing is to trust yourself rather than the analysts and experts out there. What makes sense to you?

CNBC Top News and Analysis